These past few years apocalypse themed movies and shows continue to be all the craze. It seems that every few months another movie based on the end of the world is premiering- The World’s End, World War Z, Resident Evil, After Earth, War of the Worlds, This is the End.. and the list goes on.
As a yoga teacher and practitioner who is the yoga room 10+ times a week I have found myself wondering how practicing yoga can change the world- How the practice of empowering oneself can in turn empower humanity. The famous quote by Marianne Williamson proclaims that “as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
But what happens when the lights go out? What happens when the end of the world comes around, as these popular movies suggest? How will yoga help me then???
Well, here’s my theory. In the case of an apocalypse, I want Bikram yogis by my side and here’s why. For those of you who are unfamiliar, in Bikram Yoga classes the temperature is set to approximately 102-105 degrees. This extreme environment aids in the detoxifying effects as well as helps get the body get limber as we stretch, and helps promote cardiovascular benefits. (For more on the benefits of the heat click here.) But the extreme environment also cultivates a certain type of person, as well as a need for certain supplies. So here are my top 8 reasons why Bikram Yogis are equipped to be my teammates should the end of the world scenario arise.
1. Good with Instruction: In a Bikram class there is a leader or teacher in the front of the class who gives clear and concise commands and guides the students in and out of each posture very specifically. It is a skill to be able to follow voice commands and these yogis are experts. In the case of an apocalypse, I imagine there will be a need for a task force who works together and can work with one leader at a time. After all, too many captains steering a ship and the boat sinks.
2. Clear Headed: Bikram yogis (and yogis in general) are excellent at clearing their minds. In order to create a good escape plan and survive the end of the world we need to be as focused and sharp as possible. In an extreme environment- like that of a Bikram studio- these yogis are able to stay calm and rational (well, most of the time ☺). We learn to use our thoughts in a positive way in order to overcome the obstacle ahead. Definitely useful during an apocalypse.
3. Peak Physical Form: Bikram Yogis are in top physical form. Taking 90 minutes a day to shape, energize and heal your body works wonders for your athletic performance.
4. Water Rationing: In a Bikram class it is important not to guzzle too much water. Thus, I feel confident that if there was a need for water rationing, my Bikram yogi friends would be fair and even in their rationing. We know the value of water and can make an 8 oz bottle last for days! (of course we drink ½ a gallon a day in “real life”.)
5. Yogis are flexible: During my end of the world scenario, there will most certainly be a time when we must retreat to the hills and live in small caves. Being flexible and limber, we could all fit together and keep warm at night nicely.
6. Towels Galore: Bikram yogis come equipped with lots and lots of towels which help them in class to absorb their sweat. While these towels serve a purpose in class, they would serve a greater purpose outside of class. That is- towels can be doubled as bandages in case injuries are sustained during the catastrophic destruction of the world as we know it. (Even the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy requires most a towel.)
7. We Thrive in the Heat: As global warming continues to be an issue, I believe that the added ability Bikram yogis have to maintain and exist in extremely high heat will be beneficial during the day as we seek other life forms and work to recreate humanity.
8. Perfect Match: Lastly, in case all the other people on the planet were to perish and only me and one other person were to survive… and we were the last chance to procreate and start a new world, I would hope that my partner in this task would be an ultimate yogi, in peak physical shape and possess all of the super powers yogis possess.
In short, yogis and yoginis of all sorts would be excellent to have around in case of an apocalypse, but Bikram yogis come with a few extra perks. I would be honored to have them by my side as we traverse the remains from the destruction of the world. So, here I am, off to another class full of yogis, and just in case the meteor (or whatever brings us our demise) hits while I’m in class, I know I’m surrounded by the best possible task force of strong amazing yogis!